Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Coroner's Lunch - Colin Cotterill

I had read one book that was touted as having the charm of an Alexander Mcall book and had burnt my fingers, or rather my brain. [Inspector Ghote Series - I advice a distance of 10 miles from them if possible] So this time I was a little vary.

Colin Cotterill's coroner Dr. Siri was based out of Laos. That sounded promising. Then there was the achingly honest yet funny descriptions of the protagonist's life and the communist state of Lao. No judgements are made. Like MCall Smith, the really bad parts are glossed over, but they are there. The plot is riveting and soon you come to like and even love the reluctant coroner and his staff. It's a whodunit that winds and wheezes with a hint of fantasy and a whiff of otherworldliness while rooted in the very practical and human Dr. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

7/10

No comments: