Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Longshot - Katie Kitamura

If you love boxing, you will love this book. Full of descriptive bouts, each sentence shows how much the author is in love with the sport. I have absolutely no clue about boxing and can't stand to watch and felt the same way about some of the descriptions. I couldn't bear to read them. Yet I was strangely pulled into this violent world and as the author may have meant to convey, found some redemptive and courageous qualities to the sport.

With my little knowledge of boxing gained mostly from this book, the entire story that weaves around the two protagonists - Cal the boxer who almost got it all and his trainer Riley seems to be almost like a boxing match. Wearing the reader down to the last gut wrenching yet strangely satisfying moments. You could almost taste the air of Tijuana - where the action happens and smell the sweat and blood. It is a slow book. But as I said earlier - strangely satisfying.

6/10

No comments: